For the first time, L’Étape Australia by Tour de France is going virtual, in an effort to provide its community with a Tour de France experience despite the current health orders enforced in Australia.
L’Étape Australia has partnered with Fulgaz, the only online training platform based on high resolution real-life footage. The team at Fulgaz has filmed the entire course of the 5th edition of L’Étape Australia (in Kiama, the Shoalhaven and the Southern Highlands) to make it available to you, from the comfort of your living room (and at a healthy distance from other riders).
- Are there several distances on offer?
Two distances are available:
- The Race: 3 stages across three weekends, featuring three climbs (one climb per stage): Berry Mountain, Col de Fitzroy and Saddleback Mountain.
- The Ride: 1 stage available during one weekend, featuring one main climb: Berry Mountain.
- When will the event take place?
The event schedule is as follow:
- Stage 1 | Berry Mountain (The Race & The Ride): Saturday 14 November 2020 at 8am AEST or Sunday 15 November 2020 at 8am AEST (pick your favourite time)
- Stage 2 | Col de Fitzroy (The Race): Saturday 21 November 2020 at 8am AEST or Sunday 22 November 2020 at 8am AEST (pick your favourite time)
- Stage 3 | Saddleback Mountain (The Race): Saturday 28 November 2020 at 8am AEST or Sunday 29 November 2020 at 8am AEST (pick your favourite time)
- What if none of these times suit me?
If none of those times suit you, you can still take the start anytime in the next 24 hours of each stage, but you won’t start with the peloton and you will miss the thrill of riding in a Tour de France event!
- What do I need to take part in the event?
To take part in the Virtual L’Étape Australia by Tour de France, you will need:
- A bike (any bike will do!)
- A connected device (smartphone, tablet, laptop, Smart TV) with the Fulgaz app
- A Fulgaz account (access to Fulgaz will be free for all registrants until the end of the event)
- A home-trainer (for a good experience, we recommend using a smart trainer)
- A towel (these climbs will make you sweat!)
- Are there any prizes to win?
All participants will automatically enter the draw to win one of the many prizes on offer (total prize pool value of $8,570):
- 2 x Tissot Tour de France watches (RRP $800 each)
- 1 x Tour de France White jersey signed by Simon Yates
- 2 x Tour de France Polka Dot jerseys signed by Warren Barguil
- 1 x Tour de France Green jersey signed by Michael Matthews
- 2 x tailor-made Cuore cycling kits (RRP $625 each)
- 10 x L’Étape Australia registrations (RRP $319 each)
- 10 x L’Étape Australia cycling caps (RRP $19 each)
- 1 x Winners Bars Mega Energy Bar pack (RRP $239)
- 1 x Winners Bars L’Étape Nutrition pack (RRP $128)
- 9 x Vélochef books (RRP $60 each)
- 7 x Shimano bidons and 10 x L’Étape Australia bidons (RRP $14.99 each)
- 3 x pairs of Lazer sunglasses (RRP $69.99 each)
- 10 x Esteban Chaves Foundation’s neck warmers (RRP $25 each)
- 11 x Kosciuszko Pale Ale flat peak caps (RRP $29 each)
- How much is registration?
The Ride registration is $49.
The Race registration is $59.
- When will registrations open?
Registration for the first edition of the Virtual L’Étape Australia by Tour de France will open on Wednesday 14 October at 10am at www.letapeaustralia.com.
- What is included in the registration?
The registration includes:
- Access to Fulgaz from the day you register until the end of the event (a selection of the best rides available on Fulgaz will be made available to you)
- Access to the Virtual L’Étape Australia by Tour de France
- Participation in the lucky draw to win one of the many prizes on offer
- 10% off your next order with our Official Nutrition Partner Winners Bars.
- Is the Virtual L'Étape Australia replacing the "real" L'Étape Australia?
No, the Virtual L’Étape Australia by Tour de France is a new event in addition to the “real” L’Étape Australia.
The 5th edition of L’Étape Australia by Tour de France will take place in Kiama on 19-20 March 2021.